A simple way to understand how mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy heals injured tissue
May 18, 2017
Under Hyperbaric Therapy (HBO2), Oxygen, which is a much smaller molecule than a Red Blood Cell (RBC), is pulled from the larger RBC, which is carrying the oxygen molecules to tissues via hemoglobin. RBC's are the vehicle transport for all oxygen within our body. After extraction, it is now concentrated within the surrounding plasma. This allows the smaller Oxygen molecules to easily permeate, or cross barriers between blood and injured tissue, allowing Oxygen to saturate the areas involved and allow healing to occur.
This transference from the RBC to the plasma is important because injury creates inflammation, which is a barrier that limits the ability of red blood cells to penetrate as it is very thick and compressed, leaving little room for larger RBC’s to deliver vital Oxygen for healing. However, when we undergo Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, the smaller O2 molecules are forced form the RBC into the plasma and can permeate, or penetrate through the inflammation and saturate the injured tissue, penetrating 400% deeper into the tissue. This not only heals injured tissue, but decreases the inflammation as oxygen is the main molecule for eliminating inflammation. Once the inflammation has decreased, RBC’s can now start to penetrate and heal the tissues by delivering oxygen with ease, without the need for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, returning tissue physiology to normal function.
- The most important aspect to understand is that Oxygen is a small molecule and Red Blood Cells are much larger.
- Red Blood Cells carry oxygen to all tissues, especially when injured.
- Red Blood Cells cannot deliver oxygen very well to tissue when there is inflammation creating a barrier, preventing Oxygen Delivery to injured tissue. Imagine the RBC’s bouncing off the inflammation layer.
- Hyperbaric Therapy pulls smaller Oxygen molecules out of the larger RBC’s into the plasma
- The smaller oxygen molecules penetrate the inflammation barrier and saturate the tissue, along with the inflammation with Oxygen and force healing
- Hyperbaric Therapy pushes Oxygen molecules 400% deeper into tissue than typical response.
- Oxygen heals all tissue and eats away inflammation
- Once the inflammation layer is reduced, RBC’s can now penetrate the tissue and undergo normal physiological healing.
- This is extremely important in Injury, Burns, Post-surgical, Diabetics, Lyme, Brain Injury/Concussion, Multiple Sclerosis, Autism/ADHD/Learning disabilities, Stroke, Other Neurological Conditions, Hypoxic injuries, Sleep Apnea and the list goes continues.
- The more oxygen we have in our body, the more energy we produce.
- The actual prcoess is a little more complicated than we've discussed, but the same outcome is achieved, as HBO2 suppresses pro-inflammatory cytokines (IL-6, TNF-alpha), iNOS all under control of the transcription factor, NFKB, the generic commander-in-chief), designed to wreak havoc on pathogenic organisms but cause colalteral damage to healthy host tissue in chronic inflammatory states.